Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 22: Life is a Beach

July 25

Ostend is said to be among the most famous coastal cities in Europe. So back to my ongoing theme of expectations and realizations (which I always seem to want to talk about), I pictured Ostend as the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk of Belgium. I imagined grand promenades, food stands, amusement parks and thrill rides to line the beachfront. I imagined the smell of caramel-dipped apples, cotton candy, and all variations of fried goodies to mix with the salty ocean breeze and fill the air with that familiar and lovable scent.

But such places as Santa Cruz were only created within the past century, while Ostend was shaped by numerous centuries of history. A fun fact is that Ostend served as a strategic military post for the British, Dutch, and Spanish. It also became a major seaport at one point, especially as a link between Great Britain and the mainland. But today, as best quoted in our reader, “in modern Ostend, there is little of history, and its romance is the romance of extravagance.” As the need for the port of Ostend fell to lesser significance, the desire for a seaside resort grew greater.

We learned that the greatest influences on Ostend today is of the health consciousness movement and the desire for coastal palaces that King Leopold himself set the precedent for. Extravagance is hardly an exaggeration, as these grand palaces once lined the entire seaside promenade, of which there are still remnants of today. Through the years, the town grew in popularity to attract beachgoers all across the country and become quite the tourist trap. Now, many international chain stores line the streets and walkways, adding to the notion of extravagance.

With that said, I am very much excited for our stay here in Ostend, as the sense of nostalgia for my beloved California coastline often comes and goes. But until I return home, this will serve as a perfect slice of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment